[c-nsp] as-override

Dean Smith dean at eatworms.org.uk
Mon Apr 14 06:51:27 EDT 2008

This scenario may be unusual in the ISP world where genuine AS
re-use/overlaps are very rare but is much more common in the Enterprise
world and I've faced it myself. e.g. I had to intregrate 2 disparate
networks who both used an MPLS service from the same WAN provider.

As such the route tables on both networks had  <Private AS>.<SP MPLS
AS>.<Private AS> paths and a full dynamic exchange fell foul of the
anti-looping. The SP didn't (and wouldn't) provide any of the SP based
options (allow-as-in etc.) to get round it.

In the end I had to dump all the routes from one network into an igp and
then redistribute "clean" routes iback into BGP. Complexity and extra boxes
I could have done without. Whilst the ability to remove specific AS numbers
from an as-path might be perceived as undesirable or dangerous on the
internet - it would have made many an enterprise engineer's life very much
easier. Its not like there aren't other configuration options which can be
equally dangerous in the wrong hands.

Dean Smith