[c-nsp] NPE-G1 PPS limitations

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Thu Apr 17 17:10:23 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:35:13AM -0700, dpinkard at AccessLine.com wrote:
> Would one expect gigE to gigE traffic local to the NPE-G1 to scale higher
> than that?

Yea, I would expect that.  I don't understand all of the
architechtural issues on the 7200 series in great detail, but it seems
that either the PCI bus that line cards use isn't really up to doing
GigE, or the controllers on the PA-GE doesn't scale well.

The router I saw this on originally had it's primary ingress interface
on the NPE and primary egress interface on the PA-GE.  When we swapped
a low-traffic interface on the NPE with the PA-GE, we suddenly saw our
packet loss drop to nothing.  So I can say with pretty much 100%
confidence that local to the NPE will scale much better than the
PA-GE.

Ross

--
Ross Vandegrift