[c-nsp] NPE-G1 PPS limitations

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Apr 17 17:21:23 EDT 2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 11:35:13AM -0700, dpinkard at AccessLine.com wrote:
>> Would one expect gigE to gigE traffic local to the NPE-G1 to scale higher
>> than that?
>
> Yea, I would expect that.  I don't understand all of the
> architechtural issues on the 7200 series in great detail, but it seems
> that either the PCI bus that line cards use isn't really up to doing
> GigE, or the controllers on the PA-GE doesn't scale well.

The 7200 was never really intended to do lots of high-rate/wire-speed
forwarding and the NPE-G1 and G2 were built to try to shoe-horn some of
those capabilities into the box but unless you're going from NPE port to
NPE port, you still have to live with the limitations of the split PCI
bus that's part of the VXR architecture.  Where the 7200 series really
excels is as a "swiss army knife" router because of its versatility and
the wide range of interfaces available for it.

jms