[c-nsp] "continue" in outbound route-map

Paul Cairney lists at cairney.me.uk
Sat Apr 19 12:25:27 EDT 2008

Peter,

I would recommend testing it throughly in the lab and ensuring it is on
the checklist for things to retest before you do incremental upgrades as
I this is one feature I know sufferers from lack of consistency across
release trains.

While I dont use SX* so cant comment on its availability there, I had
become accustomed to stable support for this feature in 12.2S and
related trains so was disappointed to find on some lower end kit (2800)
that I was forced to use 12.4T to get fully functionally outbound continue.

On the other hand it did give me an incentive to do some further testing
with the AND/OR functionality of using 'match policy-list' statements in
an outbound route-map which resulted in a nearer solution for some of
the things I had previously relied on continue statements for.

The bottom line is if you are worried about the consequences of Outbound
continue being removed from the release you are using then take 5
minutes to ensure that the first statement in the route-map will result
in a "failed safe" state rather than announcing a full table because
your filtering relies on continues.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Peter Rathlev wrote:

>Hi,
>
>According to
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/cs_brmcs.html
>
>the "continue" route-map statement is only supported in the outbound
>direction when running 12.0(31)S and later. According to the Feature
>Navigator, 12.2(33)SRB + SRC also supports it, but 12.2(18)SXF doesn't.
>
>Now the strange thing is that I can use it fine in labs on 6500 and 7600
>SXF. I can configure it, and it works as I expect.
>
>Is it a very bad idea starting to use this in production? I haven't
>tested SXH yet, and I am a bit worried, thinking this might be an
>"unintended feature" like BFD+SVI. Anybody else using it with C6k, maybe
>SXH?
>
>Regards,
>Peter

believed to be clean.