[c-nsp] Cisco 3500XL - Need to change management Vlan + DG

Jeff Cartier jcartier at acs.on.ca
Sun Apr 20 16:07:29 EDT 2008

I have a issue involving a large amount of Cisco 3500XL switches located in a bunch of different sites and I need to change the Vlan management interface to a completely new subnet, new vlan, and of course a new default-gateway.

I'm looking at how to accomplish this remotely...the option of being physically on-site is not an option.

I'm looking at doing the following...

1) Configure the vlan ahead of time.  Upload a copy of the running-configuration to the startup config, but with the modified changes via tftp (ie. New management interface, shutdown the old SVI, modified default-gateway)...then do a 'Switch# copy start run'.

I was just seeking some opinions to see if this method is indeed a 'tried and true' approach on how to solve this problem.  I know this switches are end of life and do not support multiple SVIs, so I'm sure this situation has been encountered more than once.

Comments, procedures and opinions are more than welcome!

Thanks!