[c-nsp] Cisco 3500XL - Need to change management Vlan + DG

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Mon Apr 21 03:05:09 EDT 2008

On (2008-04-20 16:07 -0400), Jeff Cartier wrote:

> I have a issue involving a large amount of Cisco 3500XL switches located in a bunch of different sites and I need to change the Vlan management interface to a completely new subnet, new vlan, and of course a new default-gateway.
>
> I'm looking at how to accomplish this remotely...the option of being physically on-site is not an option.

I've done this number of times, in two different ways 1) renumber just VLAN
(bit harder) 2) renumber VLAN and IP (easy).

Here's the lowdown:
 2) verify that VTY ACL allows connection from new link
    conf term; int vlanNEW
      ip address whatnot
      management
    ^z
    telnet to new management from link and change default-gw

 1) basically the same, but get some temporary new link eg. 10.0.0.0/24 and
    when you've changed the VLAN proceed to change the ip address. Again,
    be sure you allowed telnet from the temporary link and the new link.

--
  ++ytti