[c-nsp] Need some ideas on trunking vlans over ATM

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 25 11:46:33 EDT 2008

[I know, replying to my own message is poor form, but I forgot to show how to
add an ELAN]
On Friday 25 April 2008, Lamar Owen wrote:
> lane database parilane
>   name pari server-atm-address 47.00000000003C0000A7000000.0090BF2EF071.C0
>   default-name pari

Here's where you would add an ELAN database entry.  Suppose I have another
vlan named 'site3' on vlan# 103.  I need to add both the LECS database entry:

name site3 server-atm-address 47.00000000003C0000A7000000.0090BF2EF071.C1

And the ATM subinterface:

In addition to:
> interface ATM0.192 multipoint
>  lane server-bus ethernet pari
>  lane client ethernet 192 pari

I would have:
interface ATM0.103 multipoint
 lane server-bus ethernet site3
 lane client ethernet 103 site3

on the LANE card that will be doing the LES/BUS functions.

Then any other LANE client in a Catalyst LANE module, to use those two ELANs
and connect to VLAN's 192 and 103 to their respective ELAN's:

interface ATM0
 atm preferred phy A
 atm pvc 1 0 5 qsaal
 atm pvc 2 0 16 ilmi

interface ATM0.192 multipoint
  lane client ethernet 192 pari

interface ATM0.103 multipoint
 lane client ethernet 103 site3

No config on the 8510 switches would be required, unlike IP over PVC's, which
require PVC setup between the switches.  LANE is more complex on the client
side, but since SVCs are used, it is simpler on the switches.

For temporary use, and for low overhead (since it is already an ATM setup),
assuming you have a LANE setup there, adding another ELAN is nearly trivial
and low impact and already supported without any tunnelling of any kind.

I just wish I could do that over my OC3 WAN link; but thanks to Cisco's
non-support of APS on the common router and switch ATM interfaces I'm forced
to use much more complicated things like L2TPv3.  The ATM config would be a
piece of cake, and would automatically do the right thing.  Oh well.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer