[c-nsp] DPD dead peer detection

Stefan Hegger Stefan.Hegger at lycos-europe.com
Fri Aug 1 06:03:51 EDT 2008

Hi,

probably someone can help me to answer the following question.

I have a VPN router (Router_a) with 2 interfaces connected to 2 ISP's with 2
IP's and I have a homeoffice with a small VPN router (Router_b) connected to
one ISP with one interface and one IP.

Now I want to use DPD to check which route to use to connect from Router_b to
Router_a. ISP1 is the default, ISP2 is backup.

As far as I understand DPD is a keepalive to check if a peer is up and
switches between peers and does not do anything with the routing. So it
checks only if the key exchange works and peer is established within same
tunnel. If it is like that, I can not use DPD to solve my problem and should
use track and ip sla monitor.

Best Stefan
--
Stefan Hegger