[c-nsp] Netflow / 3560 platform

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Fri Aug 1 09:04:50 EDT 2008

David Curran wrote:
> Touche.  I was speaking of the smaller catalyst platforms.  However I'm not
> sure its fair to real routers to call the Supervisors route processors.
> That's like calling a Yugo a race car.  Sure, you COULD race it...

Look at the specs of the RSP-720. It would be a lot faster at software
forwarding than all of the devices
 mentioned earlier. (it'd probably be similar speed to the NPE-G2, I guess)

The issue is that the switch architecture makes it very hard to
accurately track and record the information needed for netflow. This
information is stored in TCAM, which is already scarce enough on those
platforms!

adam.