[c-nsp] multicast bringing big irons to their knees?

Paul Cosgrove paul.cosgrove at heanet.ie
Mon Aug 18 12:33:34 EDT 2008

Hi Christian,

You will need to explain more about the topology, your multicast setup
and the traffic flows, for instance:
- Are the foundary switches acting as your RPs?
- Have you any other commands applied which will cause multicasts to be
process switched?
- Do you have high rates of multicast on the network?
- Are you using any multicast groups which will appear the same as well
known multicast groups at Layer 2 (e.g. x.0.0.1, x.0.0.2 etc)?

If the Foundary switches are your RPs, the requirement to decapsulate
register messages could explain why these are affected much more than
your 6500s, 3750s and netscreens.  'ip pim register-rate-limit 5'
applied to the cisco designated routers will help if that is the problem
(not sure about equivalent netscreeen command).

Paul.