[c-nsp] Fwd: Alternantive to REB(route bridge Encapsulation)-2nd try

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Aug 18 16:12:21 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:40:23PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Not all folk using older Cisco gear for core routing are financially able to
> do forklift upgrades.

I fully understand your point.  I'm not one of those that recommend to
put a 7206/NPE-150 into the junk bin, just because it's old...

Cisco-XXX uptime is 7 years, 15 weeks, 2 days, 49 minutes
cisco 7206 (NPE150) processor with 57344K/8192K bytes of memory.

(yes, I know, but that's not the point.  It's working, and all problematic
packets are ACLed away)

*But* especially the 7500 is not "old", it was already old when I started
networking (well, the 7500 was "new" then, but it shares much of the
architectural limits with the 7000, and that one was already old then).

We have junked our single 7500 (at some time my great pride - dual RSP4+s
in there!!!) some 3-4 years ago, because it was just too huge (space and
power in the rack), too unreliable (OIRs usually caused a bus stall or
a complete crash), and too feeble IOS support - no "real" 12.2S support,
none of the cool features available, and a fairly clear commitment from
Cisco to let the platform die.

If a shop is in serious need for a L2VPN solution, and all they have is
a 7500, I would seriously suggest finding two old PCs somewhere, put in
a $15 intel GigE card, install Linux+OpenVPN, and enjoy the result.

With Cisco, they are not going to be happy - it's "expensive" or "more
advanced/tricky things are just not going to work".

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de