[c-nsp] Fwd: Alternantive to REB(route bridge Encapsulation)-2nd try

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Aug 18 16:17:09 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 03:00:22PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> good firewall set and, like I said, NAT.  Just wish a 12.0S had been released
> for the RSM; it is, after all, a 7500-series RSP2 on that card.  And why the
> RSFC isn't able to run something past 12.1 is a crying shame, given the
> hardware heritage of the card (I know why it was crippled, I just don't agree
> with non-technical reasons to cripple what the device can do).

I couldn't agree more wiht you on *that*.

We're in the process of retiring 2 RSMs and 1 RSFC due to "end of IOS" -
no IPv6 on them, and especially on the RSFC, purposely crippled to 12.1
(no 64bit counters and such).

Since I'm the one that suggested buying them, and the hardware is still
doing its job very well, I'm indeed not overly happy.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de