[c-nsp] Cisco 7600 vlan issue

Johannes Resch jr at xor.at
Mon Dec 1 08:48:52 EST 2008

On Mon, December 1, 2008 14:30, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2008-12-01 13:20 +0100), Johannes Resch wrote:
>
>> As others have pointed out, using service instances on ES/ES+ will not
>> require global VLANs, but this only applies for terminating plain PWEs.
>> For L3 subif/VPLS, again a global VLAN/SVI is required.
>
> This is not true for ES+, ES+ can have, like SIP/SPA single tagged
> colliding VLANs in different interface.

That's true - however I was not referring to uniqueness of VLAN IDs, but
about consumption of global resources.

In terms of global VLAN resource consumption there is no difference
between ES/ES+. While you can have local significant VLAN ID numbers on
ES+ also for single-tagged L3 subifs, there are still global internal
VLANs being used in either case.

-jr