[c-nsp] New IPv6 BGP peer on a pure IPv4 network

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Dec 2 06:37:48 EST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 12:36:03PM +0200, Ziv Leyes wrote:
> I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. I'm not asking for answers, only for directions on where to start from.

Well, my standard answer to IPv6 is

  " there is nothing magic about it, just the addresses look funny "

so - you need

 - get addresses (from RIPE, very easy, just ask and receive a /32)

 - put IPv6 addresses on your router interconnections
   (/64 networks, pick whatever feels comfortable for the host part)

 - put IPv6 addresses (/128) on your router loopbacks
   (from a set-aside /64 for loopback addresses)

 - decide on an IGP (OSPFv3, ISIS, EIGRPv6), and turn it on
   - use whatever is most similar to the IPv4 IGP you're comfortable with

 - add "address-family ipv6" to your BGP configs, and add "network" and
   "neighbour" statements for iBGP and eBGP peers
   - follow the same rules you do for IPv4 BGP regarding ingress/egress
     filtering, BGP community settings, etc.

 - talk to your upstream providers, tell them you require IPv6, otherwise
   you'll have to change providers.

 - IOS 12.4 is fine for IPv6

 - the trick is: do not despair.  If you know your trade in IPv4, IPv6
   really is very similar - all the concepts (IGP, iBGP, eBGP, loopback
   addresses, ...) are the *same*.  Just funny-looking addresses.

 - of course there's lots of work in this.

gert

PS: I'm happy to help on the mailing list, if you have specific questions -
and I'm also earning a living by doing consulting work, if you do not want
to have the questions and answers on the mailing list :-)

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de