[c-nsp] ASR1002 and SFP-GE-T Issue

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Fri Dec 5 14:03:27 EST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:19:16 +0200, Saku Ytti wrote
> On (2008-12-04 23:04 +0100), Daniel Roesen wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 04:17:58PM -0500, Mojtaba Kia wrote:
> > > Attempting to install a SFP-GE-T transceiver on an ASR1002 router's built-in
> > > GE port. The lead time to get Factory SFPs from Cisco is about 2-3 weeks,
> > > got my hand on couple of third-party vendor SFP-GE-T transceivers and even
> > > though the router recognize the SFP , layer and II will not come up.
> >
> > We've seen the same here with 3rd party Copper SFPs, and "service
> > unsupported-transceiver" didn't help. Box didn't actually complain about
> > that anyway.
> >
> > No problems with "Cisco" quad-price SFPs though. Perhaps they found a
> > new way to recognize 3rd party Cisco-coded SFPs... no clue.
> >
> > The same 3rd party brand fiber SFPs have no issues.
>
> There are two types of cu-SFP from Cisco also, both work in
> say 7600/LAN cards, but only one of them work in SIP/SPA, ES20.
> I'm really curious what is the difference.
>
> I remember hearing something about SGMII standard and non-standard
> port-asics.

One type emulates fiber SFP and should work in all cases (at 1 Gbps) as the
port does not have to perform anything special.

The other type can do 10/100/1000, but the port must support SGMII mode
which is probably not available in all card types and apparently not enabled
for 3-rd party units.

For more detail see e.g. Finisar's spec and appnotes for cu-SFPs.

  With kind regards,

       M.