[c-nsp] ASR1002 and SFP-GE-T Issue

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Dec 5 18:03:56 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 08:03:27PM +0100, Marian ??urkovi?? wrote:
> One type emulates fiber SFP and should work in all cases (at 1 Gbps) as the
> port does not have to perform anything special.
>
> The other type can do 10/100/1000, but the port must support SGMII mode
> which is probably not available in all card types and apparently not enabled
> for 3-rd party units.

Aha, interesting. That explains... the 3rd party copper SFPs I've tried
(Finisar) unsuccessfully in SPA-5X1GE-V2 do work fine as 10/100/1000 in
3750G. The "genuine Cisco" (they are Finisar too, judging from the
serial number) do support SGMII as well, as I can set them to 100mbps
too:

asr1006#sh int g0/3/0 | i media
  Full Duplex, 100Mbps, link type is force-up, media type is T

asr1006#sh hw-module subslot 0/3 transceiver 0 idprom brief
IDPROM for transceiver GigabitEthernet0/3/0:
  Description                               = SFP optics (type 3)
  Transceiver Type:                         = GE T (26)
  Product Identifier (PID)                  = N/A
  Vendor Revision                           = B
  Serial Number (SN)                        = MTC111202FJ
  Vendor Name                               = CISCO-METHODE
  Vendor OUI (IEEE company ID)              = 00.00.00 (0)
  CLEI code                                 = N/A
  Cisco part number                         = N/A
  Device State                              = Enabled.
  Date code (yy/mm/dd)                      = 07/03/23
  Connector type                            = Unknown.
  Encoding                                  = 8B10B
                                              NRZ
  Nominal bitrate                           = GE (1300 Mbits/s)

So it really looks like SPA-5X1GE-V2 doesn't like SGMII mode only for
3rd party SPF...

Best regards,
Daniel