[c-nsp] 3550 switch password question

Jen Linkova furry13 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 19:27:06 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:47 AM, chloe K <chloekcy2000 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>  1/ When I boot up the switch, the switch can be accessed by console without password in user mode
>
>  ls it normal?

Absolutely. It's a default configuration which allows you to access
the switch and configure it.
You need to configure authentication as well as other options before
placing the switch in the production environment.

>  2/ I use the following guidline to setup the password.
>  What is the different between "enable secret" and "enable password"
>  which one is super usermode?

The difference is an encryption algorithm. It's recommended to use
'enable secret' (and don't forget 'service password encryption'
command ;-)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/security/configuration/guide/scfpass.html#wp1000927

--
SY, Jen Linkova aka Furry