[c-nsp] DS3 mux issues

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Dec 10 09:43:31 EST 2008

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> Can you loop one of the T1s on the 7206 and see the loop on the 2811?

It looks like it's 't1 1 loopback network line' on this 7200's IOS.  I
looped it up and the 2811 sees it as down still.  So that would point
the problem back at the mux, wouldn't it?

On the Wide Bank I can do a metallic loopback on the DS1 facing the 2811
and it pops up.

> I think you may need to have a peek at the config on the mux if
> possible. It looks like your frames aren't passing through, which is
> probably why your T1s are showing LOF/AIS.  When you put a hard loop on
> the physical T1 end, facing back to the 7206, do the LOF/AIS indicators
> go out on that port?  From what I can see, the router configs look OK.

I finally got the M13 on the network.  That mux is like something from
an old scifi movie from the 80s, even though it's brand new.  Here's the
config through the first 2 DS1s.  There isn't much meat to it.

(A:Active) > config
- CONTROLLER
     ds1      protect on
     ds3      protect off
     autocopy        on
     revertive ds3    on
     revertive ds1    off
     arm             on
     ffo      present on
     security        off
     screen 24
     ip    address 10.160.0.50
     ip       mask 255.255.255.224
     ip    gateway 10.160.0.33
     ip       nms1
     ip       nms2
     ip       nms3
     ip        ppp 192.168.255.241
     ip      route ethernet
     snmp name      "Name"
     snmp location  "Location"
     snmp contact   "Contact"
     snmp getcomm   "public"
     snmp setcomm   "public"
     snmp trapcomm  "public"
- DS3
     ds3    circuitid "DS3"
     ds3        clock line
     ds3  clockrevert on
     ds3  equipmentid "DS3 Equip."
     ds3    equipment off
     ds3   facilityid "DS3 Path"
     ds3      frameid "Frame"
     ds3      framing cbit
     ds3    gennumber "DS3 Test Generator"
     ds3       length short
     ds3         line off
     ds3   locationid "DS3 Loc."
     ds3   loopdetect off
     ds3      payload off
     ds3   portnumber "DS3 Idle Port"
     ds3         send off
     ds3    threshold off
     ds3         unit "000000"
     Performance Thresholds:         15 min.      1 hour       1 day
                                    --------    --------    --------
     coding violations - line:           387        1161        3865
     errored seconds - line:              25          75         250
     coding viols-path p-bit:            382        1146        3820
     err seconds - path p-bit:            25          75         250
     loss of signal secs - line:           4          12          40
     sev err seconds - line:               4          12          40
     sev err sec - path cp-bit:            4          12          40
-  1
     ds1 1   circuitid "DS1 1"
     ds1 1      enable
     ds1 1   equipment off
     ds1 1      length dsx0
     ds1 1        line off
     ds1 1    linecode b8zs
     ds1 1  loopdetect off
     ds1 1    metallic off
     ds1 1        send off
     Performance Thresholds:         15 min.      1 hour       1 day
                                    --------    --------    --------
     coding violations - line:         13340       40020      133400
     errored seconds - line:              65         195         648
-  2
     ds1 2   circuitid "DS1 2"
     ds1 2      enable
     ds1 2   equipment off
     ds1 2      length dsx0
     ds1 2        line off
     ds1 2    linecode b8zs
     ds1 2  loopdetect off
     ds1 2    metallic off
     ds1 2        send off
     Performance Thresholds:         15 min.      1 hour       1 day
                                    --------    --------    --------
     coding violations - line:         13340       40020      133400
     errored seconds - line:              65         195         648

> Also make sure the mux isn't trying to inject its own clocking into the
> T1s.  It problably isn't, but it's a good idea to check.

The mux was using it's own internal clock until this morning.  I set it
to line on the DS3 side.  I imagine, well I hope, that it would pass
clocking through to the 2811 when configured like this too but I can't
say for certain.

Someone suggested checking the wiring, that perhaps send/receive were
flipped.  That's certainly a possibility.  That would explain why either
end would come up when I physically loop up the circuit.  Let me double
check it.

Thanks
  Justin