[c-nsp] DS3 mux issues

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Wed Dec 10 10:25:15 EST 2008

Justin Shore wrote:
> Morning, Larry.  Do you know if the channel-group # is significant to
> each DS1 or does the channel-group # have to be unique across the DS3?
> I'm thinking that it's unique to the DS1 so that you can create X
> number of channel-groups on a DS1 if needed but I'm not 100% on that.
Channel-groups are defined on a per-T1 basis. You can create them all
'channel-group 0', which is what most people do. If you want frac-T1s,
you can do channel-group 0, channel-group 1, within one T1, then go back
to channel-group 0 with the next T1.
> Do you think I should generate clocking on our router or on the mux?
> We don't have an external clock source in that CO.  I expect to have
> up to a dozen different M13s connected to this 7206 as time goes by.
> Would it be a problem if the 7206 received clocking on each DS3 from
> each of the muxes or would that screw things up internally?  At this
> point I don't expect to get handed a T1 w/ clocking from the RBOC.
> All the CPEs will be line of course.
Once you have 12 cT3s on a 7206, you'll probably have different issues,
but all ports can independently clock from different sources, or
generate clocking for you. I can't imagine it makes much difference if
the router or mux does it, although since you have someone else managing
the mux, making it do as little as possible may be a good thing :)

> 7206:
> Serial1/0/1:0 is down, line protocol is down
What does the mux show as the status of this channel (the individual
DS-1, or 'port').