[c-nsp] CoPP configuration..

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Thu Dec 11 09:18:07 EST 2008

On (2008-12-11 12:08 -0000), Mark Tohill wrote:

> Can anyone offer me advice on configuring CoPP on internet-facing edge
> routers?
>
> I'm running 12.4(21a) on 7200VXR's.

Are you running MPLS, if so, you might want to know that in VXR CoPP is
evaluated before EXP null is popped. This effectively means that there is
no point running CoPP in such setup.
Cisco handle this case in '603198067' and told it's expected, which
was rather disappointing to hear.
In 7600 luckily exp null is popped before CoPP is evaluated.

> I have an initial configuration with the usual well documented
> classifications
> (http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/coppwp_gs.html)
> and can access the proper values (I think)from
> CISCO-CLASS-BASED-QOS-MIB, which I could graph in MRTG without too much
> difficulty. Heres the output from 'sh policy-map control-plane':
>
> sh policy-map control-plane | include offered
> 5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
> 5 minute offered rate 1000 bps
> 5 minute offered rate 2000 bps
> 5 minute offered rate 0 bps
> 5 minute offered rate 0 bps
> 5 minute offered rate 1000 bps
> 5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
>
> These values are 'bursty' and seem to come in multiples of 1000. Is
> there any merit in graphing these values over time and setting CoPP MQC
> values from that? It feels a bit crude.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>

> Mark Tohill