[c-nsp] Detect Upstream ISP's BGP problems.

tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com tkacprzynski at SpencerStuart.com
Fri Dec 12 12:02:26 EST 2008

That sounds like a good idea. Thank you very much.

What do you think of using conditional advertisement based on their
Route Reflector to advertise a default route? (I think the biggest
problem is that most ISPs might not want to do that correct?)

Thank you again.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Saku Ytti
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 10:42 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Detect Upstream ISP's BGP problems.

On (2008-12-12 09:57 -0600), tkacprzynski at spencerstuart.com wrote:

> I know I could ask the ISPs to provide me a core route and use
> conditional advertisement, which would work well for traffic coming
> inbound, but what about outbound? How can I make the default route
> disappear from an ISP that is having internal problems.

Don't get default, get PA aggregate. And point static route to that PA
aggregate and the interface. If ISPs peering router is separated from
ISPs core, the PA aggregate disappears and static default will be
invalid, allowing you to converge to another path.

For more advanced stuff, you might want to look at 'PfR'
from cisco.

--
  ++ytti