[c-nsp] RSP4 as route server? - seeking suggestions and opinions

Masood Ahmad Shah masood at nexlinx.net.pk
Sun Dec 21 17:13:45 EST 2008

You can also use JUNOS olive.

http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Olive

Regards,
Masood

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Cory Ayers
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:45 AM
To: Ang Kah Yik
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] RSP4 as route server? - seeking suggestions and
opinions

>I've only been recently tasked with looking into possible (re)uses for
this
>box so I'm not sure how it managed to handle 2 sets of full routes
either.

256M RAM will barely handle one BGP feed filtered to /23 (140k routes)

>The first thing that came to mind when tasked with this was actually
>Quagga/OpenBGPD. There appears to be a discussion on Linux Gigabit
routers
>on the NANOG-ML but the discussion seems skewed towards forwarding
>performance rather than BGP scalability.

If you're just looking for data gathering, go with Quagga.  We've got an
old SOHO box (533Mhz, 512M RAM, 512M Flash drive) running a lean install
of Fedora with 8 BGP feeds (somewhat filtered) inbound, and another
session to route-views.  This replaced a 7200 NPE-300 w/256M that
couldn't keep up a few years back.

Cory