[c-nsp] BGP - Older routes?

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at autempspourmoi.be
Fri Feb 1 10:22:09 EST 2008

Hello list,

I have a BGP router with 2 eBGP peers (upstreams). This morning one of
the two upstreams (say A) had a scheduled maintenance, and most of the
outgoing traffic went to B. But when A came back up 4 hours longer,
outgoing traffic mostly kept going through B, and traffic towards A did
not reach back its previous level. As a consequence, there currently is
now too much traffic going to B (given the current CDR).

I have no reason to believe that A has made any configuration change; so
I believe this behaviour is due to "older route first" criterium of the
BGP route selection algorithm (as described in step 10 of
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/25.shtml).

Does that sound like a reasonable? How do I check this is indeed the
cause? If it is, would a "soft in" clear be enough to fix the problem?

Vincent