[c-nsp] Question about ip rtp header-compression

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Tue Feb 5 05:49:38 EST 2008

Hi,
I have a problem I can't figure out myself.
I have two 7206VXR connected between them with serial interface over satellite. The bandwidth is 2Mb (clockrate of the controller shows 2047212 on both sides)
This link is exclusively used for VoIP, and the ip rtp header compression is activated on both sides with a very nice successful statistics, such as 99% hit ratio and around 2,50-3,00 efficiency improvement factor.
The customer still complains about several VoIP packet loss, and in the line graphs you can see the line never exceeds the 1500-1600 Kb.
I wanted to try to improve the rtp traffic so I thought about using "ip rtp priority 13000 16383 2000" just to give it a try, but it gave an error saying "IP RTP: Not enough bandwidth: available 1500 needed 2000"
Then I realized there is a hard limit of 1500 for the IP RTP, and I wonder, where is this limit coming from? Perhaps the changes on the queuing strategy or in the QoS in the past made the router go crazy and not to detect the real bandwidth, or there's some specific IOS limitations in order to keep some bandwidth available for other needs?
If someone can shed light on this "mystery" I'll be more than glad to hear!
Thanks,
Ziv