[c-nsp] NAT Detection with netflow or anything.

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Tue Feb 5 07:08:23 EST 2008

Joseph,

> I've been thinking about NAT detection for security purposes (rogue wireless
> AP's, etc). After some searching on the google
> I haven't been able to come up with much.  Other than a page with a few dead
> links to papers/tools you can use I've come up empty.
> Anyone have any solutions to this?

If you have a solid understanding of your network topology, you can look
at the IP TTL field: http://www.sflow.org/detectNAT/.  I've normally heard of
this being done in combination with a MAC-based network registration system
within the capative portal, but you could probably also do this via netflow.

Eric Gauthier
Boston University