[c-nsp] EoMPLS between 7600 & 7200 config clarification

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Feb 5 16:51:10 EST 2008

Peter Rathlev wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 21:48 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 02:15:40PM -0600, Justin Shore wrote:
>>> I'm in a similar boat as Jose.  What options for EoMPLS do we people
>>> with 6700s have?  I'm trying physical to physical with no luck.
>> physical to physical should work, according to the documentation.  I
>>  haven't tried it yet, though.
>
> Port mode (physical<->physical) works on 6500 SXF, not 7600 SXF (or
> 12.2SR at all?) according to FN. Very strange, but one of the few
> feature differences between 6500 and 7600 on SXF.

That's interesting.  We have to run SR on our 7600s for CALEA support
(might as well run it now before SX stops working on the 7600s anyway :-) ).

> We have EoMPLS Port Mode working fine on several 6500 SXF6 without
> problems. Will try it on a pair of 7600 SRBs and post the results when I
> get to it.

I eagerly await the results.

> First side note: EoMPLS Port Mode is really sweet, transparent to CDP,
> STP and even UDLD. :-)

The deeper I get into this and the more I read, the more I places I can
think of to use these features and solutions that I can provide.  I just
wish these features were uniformly available on all manners of
linecards.  That will be the next big thing to bite us I'm afraid.

> Second side note: Does anyone maintain a FAQ for this list? Does anyone
> have one lying around? Seems we could collect a lot of useful knowledge.
> And pointing people to FAQs would probably educate them more than just
> repeating everything. (Still waiting for that "mother of all FAQs"...)

I'd love to see one too.  I'd definitely bookmark it.

Thanks for the info
  Justin