[c-nsp] EoMPLS between 7600 & 7200 config clarification

Jose lobo at allstream.net
Wed Feb 6 08:52:12 EST 2008

Alexandre Snarskii wrote:
> Not with SVI but with mux-uni it works just well:
>
> RouterA:
> interface TenGigabitEthernet6/2.3097
>  encapsulation dot1Q 3097
>  xconnect <RouterB> 888 encapsulation mpls
>
> RouterB:
> interface GigabitEthernet4/15.888
>  encapsulation dot1Q 888
>  xconnect <RouterA> 888 encapsulation mpls
>
> you see, on one side this is vlan id 888, and on other side it's 3097.
>
> PS: you should be careful with such remapping. EoMPLS in PFC mode is
> really transparent to all types of frames. And not all protocols can
> handle 'vlan change' well. For example, as PVST carries vlan id
> within its BPDU - spanning-tree will generate error 'Wrong Vlan in BPDU'
> and will refuse to forward packets to 'remapped' vlan.

Nice.  It would certainly save me the headache of doing remapping on a
separate switch either before it enters my router or after it exits it
at the other end.  I just tried this in my lab this morning and sadly it
didn't work.  The circuit is seen as up from both sides when doing  a
"show mpls l2 vc" but it's not forwarding any traffic.

Since I'm trying to do this between a 7600 with SUP32 and a 7204VXR is
there a specific version of IOS for each platform I should be working
on?  I believe I need to upgrade the 7600 to 12.2(33)SRB / SRC from
12.2(18)SXF11 but what IOS should the 7200 be running?  Or for that
matter, is there a specifc feature other than EoMPLS I can search on and
find the right image that way?

Jose