[c-nsp] SPANTREE-SP-2-RECV_BAD_TLV

Jean-Christophe Varaillon j.varaillon at cosmoline.com
Wed Feb 6 10:24:54 EST 2008

Thanks for your so prompt answer.

> I may be wrong, but I believe SSTP is better known as per VLAN STP
> (PVST+).   The 6509 is probably complaining that its receiving a regular
> 802.1D BPU when its expecting a PVSTP+ BPDU on vlans 21 and 60.

Both 6509 are configured to use STP in PVST+ mode.

> I have to wonder why you are running PVST+ thru Nortel switches why may or
> may not support it.

The carrier provider gives us ethernet connections through its Nortel
switches. It seems that we cannot use that link in such a naïve way of
thinking: Setting a trunk between the two 6509 through the two Nortel
switches of the carrier provider...

> I know that later versions of software on the Nortel Passport 8600s can
> support PVST+

I will have to check this, but indeed, from Cisco:
"PVST+ is an enhancement to the 802.1Q specification and is not supported on
non-Cisco devices."

So I suppose that the Nortel switch sends those untagged BPDU, which are not
in the PVST+ format.

Christophe