[c-nsp] Cisco7609 as P layer

Mauritz lewies mauritz.lewies at is.co.za
Tue Feb 12 06:37:22 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Rathlev [mailto:peter at rathlev.dk]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:23 PM
To: Mauritz lewies
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Cisco7609 as P layer

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 12:38 +0200, Mauritz lewies wrote:
> Has anyone used the 7609’s (SUP720) as P layer devices in their MPLS
>  networks?

We use some 7604/Sup720 with 6700 LAN cards in a Metro Ethernet setup,
no problems.

> Cisco seems to keep rejecting this idea, but can’t give me valid
>  answers why.

They just say "No!" or what? Is it because they won't support a P
configuration?

> The problem is that buying a GSR or CRS just doesn’t make sense if the
>  core will always be Ethernet and currently our core will take at least
>  5 years to get to close to 10Gbps…

Well, the 7600 can do 10G Ethernet fine. And if you'd need anything
other than Ethernet, the SIP-cards are there for you.

If you don't need anything advanced I can't see why the 7600 isn't a
good idea. I'm not sure, but AFAIK it can do QoS queuing and scheduling
on MPLS EXP bits, and it supports MPLS TE, so from my point of view it'd
be a "perfect" P-box. Just my €.02. :-)

Regards,
Peter