[c-nsp] MPLS Confusion ;)

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Feb 12 10:11:22 EST 2008

Hi folks.

I'm moving closer to MPLS plans here.. My question is getting my head around
capabilities in hardware again.

Can someone outline common hardware choices in Cisco for a P router and  PE
router?

In other words, is there any reason a Sup2/6500 can't be used on as a P
router itself - I understand that there is more "requirements" for a PE
router and thinking about 7206VXR's on the PE portion (which we may have
some extras at some point in the future).  Just trying to find a way to use
what we have (Sup2/6500, GSR with Engine 0 cards, 7206VXR with NPE-1G and
2G).  Trying to avoid sup720 and SIP card deployments in this year's budget
if I can but get MPLS running (in a general sense).

Looking primarily for VPLS (but could live without it initially) and MPLS TE
for several customers etc.

I know this is a bit brief and maybe I'm just trying to cut corners I
shouldn't be?

Thanks,

Paul