[c-nsp] Windows networking across subnets

Mike Blodgett mblodget at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 14 13:39:23 EST 2008

> MS 2000.
>
> I am just looking to see if there is a router/network hardware solution for
> this. The do not want to map drives,
> they want to see all shares/printers in Network Barrio. Welcome to
> government. If there is not a network solution
> that is all I need to know; then it becomes "not my problem".

Not really a Windows guy either, but if you are running NBT (netbios
over tcp), to get all the entries in
the network neighborhood you would have to run a WINS server.  If you
disable NBT in
favor of raw smb over TCP, I'm not sure but I'd guess the WINS
functionality was put into active directory.

Mike

> james

* Michael Blodgett                   __          __     _____ _       *
* WAIL Lab Manager                   \ \        / /\   |_   _| |      *
* University of Wisconsin - Madison   \ \  /\  / /  \    | | | |      *
* Rm 7394, 1210 W. Dayton              \ \/  \/ / /\ \   | | | |      *
* Madison, WI, 53705                    \  /\  / ____ \ _| |_| |____  *
* mblodget at cs.wisc.edu                                                *