[c-nsp] Windows networking across subnets

james edwards lists.james.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:44:04 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM, james edwards <
lists.james.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM, neal rauhauser <nrauhauser at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >  My knowledge is rather dated, but if I recall correctly RFC 1001/1002
> > govern NetBIOS over TCP networking. The systems have four modes of
> > resolution - broadcast, point to point, and then the two methods
> > combined
> > with either broadcast or point to point primary. This has likely changed
> > with the M$ attempt to embrace, distend, and break DNS. Under all of
> > this
> > you used to be able to create name to IP bindings via an lmhosts file
> >
> >  Given the ever shifting M$ sands this is probably all quite dated now,
> > so
> > YMMV.
> >

> >  You did not say which versions of Windows you're cursed with ...

MS 2000.

I am just looking to see if there is a router/network hardware solution for
this. The do not want to map drives,
they want to see all shares/printers in Network Barrio. Welcome to
government. If there is not a network solution
that is all I need to know; then it becomes "not my problem".

james

--
James H. Edwards
Senior Network Systems Administrator