[c-nsp] Windows networking across subnets

Sean Granger sgranger at randfinancial.com
Thu Feb 14 12:41:20 EST 2008

SMB doesn't need NetBIOS over TCP/IP anymore, i.e. http://support.microsoft..com/kb/204279
This should give you anything else you might need in regards to MS-related Networking, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017

As long as your DNS is well aware of these hosts (sounds like a pain to manage without AD, but ive been surprised before ..), you should be more than just fine.

>>> "neal rauhauser" <nrauhauser at gmail.com> 02/14/08 11:17AM >>>
 My knowledge is rather dated, but if I recall correctly RFC 1001/1002
govern NetBIOS over TCP networking. The systems have four modes of
resolution - broadcast, point to point, and then the two methods combined
with either broadcast or point to point primary. This has likely changed
with the M$ attempt to embrace, distend, and break DNS. Under all of this
you used to be able to create name to IP bindings via an lmhosts file ...

  Given the ever shifting M$ sands this is probably all quite dated now, so
YMMV.

  You did not say which versions of Windows you're cursed with ...

mailto:Neal at layer3arts.com //
GoogleTalk: nrauhauser at gmail.com
IM: nealrauhauser