[c-nsp] How to measure Layer2 VLAN utilization in IOS

James Humphris jhumphris at nexagent.com
Fri Feb 15 04:14:17 EST 2008

All,

I have a question about monitoring of traffic volumes in a Cisco based
metro Ethernet environment.

I have a mixture of local switching and EoMPLS VLAN services configured
on the same pair of customer access ports. As you would expect, the
EoMPLS PW's are switched across the wide area and the local switching is
simply between VLAN's configured on both ports in the pair.

I can easily see the EoMPLS statistics in terms of packets sent and
received by issuing the "show mpls l2transport vc x detail" command,
however I simply cannot see how to obtain the same level of detail with
respect to the local switched services.

For example, the EoMPLS statistics are as follows:

nsn1#sho mpls l2transport vc 101 detail | inc totals

    packet totals: receive 589562735, send 589488418

    byte totals:   receive 75464030080, send 2440073472

However, for a local switched service, the best I can obtain is:

nsn1#sho vlan counters

* Multicast counters include broadcast packets

Vlan Id                                            : 100

L2 Unicast Packets                                 : 83244

L2 Unicast Octets                                  : 10322256

L3 Input Unicast Packets                           : 0

L3 Input Unicast Octets                            : 0

L3 Output Unicast Packets                          : 0

L3 Output Unicast Octets                           : 0

L3 Output Multicast Packets                        : 0

L3 Output Multicast Octets                         : 0

L3 Input Multicast Packets                         : 0

L3 Input Multicast Octets                          : 0

L2 Multicast Packets                               : 0

L2 Multicast Octets                                : 0

In which case, I see the general VLAN utilisation in terms of packets
and octets, but cannot determine the direction, source, destination,
ingress, egress port etc...I have tried querying the SMON mib for the
device using SNMP but this demonstrates the same information.

I will look into what I can glean using netflow, but this seems like
overkill when all I really want are some simple L2 switching statistics
via CLI/SNMP. The node in question is a Cisco ME6524; however I think
that this is a general problem in IOS.

Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations?

Many thanks

James.