[c-nsp] Telstra ADSL pix firewall running 6.3

Joseph Jackson jjackson at aninetworks.com
Fri Feb 15 20:36:07 EST 2008

Hey all,

Anyone have any experince with setting up a pix firewall with Telstras
buisness ADSL?

I have a pix in sydney that I've been trying to get online but I am running
into some show stoppers.

Here is the relavent config from the pix

ip address outside 165.228.203.90 255.255.255.0  pppoe setroute (I've tried
this with out the IP address also)

vpdn group pppoex request dialout pppoe

vpdn group pppoex localname username at direct.telstra.net

vpdn group pppoex ppp authentication chap

vpdn username username at direct.telstra.net password *********
All the commands go in ok but when I do a debug pppoe packets it looks like
the pix can't find the pppoe server.  It does the discovery but never gets a
response so fails.  The telstra setup email includes an ATM VPI/VCI number
but the pix doesn't support that (I'm guessing its only for routers).  I do
not have outband access to the device and have been working with the
datacenters smarthands through webex (love it).

I haven't been able to get in touch with Telstra as its the weekend over
there but I was wondering if you guys have come across this issue before.

Thanks!

Joseph