[c-nsp] Full BGP tables on 3825/3845?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Feb 20 09:06:07 EST 2008

Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> Is anyone using a 3825/3845 w/ 1GB to get full routing tables from 2
> upstreams?  Or is it better to go with a 7201 w/ 1GB?

I have a 3845 pulling down 2 tables, one from the connected upstream and
one via iBGP from the other border router (a NPE-G2 coincidentally).  It
works fine.  No problems here.  Either router would suffer under a DoS
attack, not being able to offload much to hardware like a 7600 could.
Still it's an ok box for the job.  I would always recommend a 7201 over
an ISR though if you have the money.  The price difference isn't too bad
when you factor in your discount, especially considering that the 7201
will give you 4x the pps throughput than the 3845 and that it ships with
1GB of RAM vs 256MB.

The 7201 will also support CALEA which is something to consider if
you're a US broadband provider.

Justin