[c-nsp] full routing table

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Feb 22 12:39:07 EST 2008

Alex Howells wrote:
> Deepak Jain wrote:
>>> For lower-end platforms like ISRs, You could go with 384MB. However
>>> 512MB is really recommended for things like soft-reconfig/etc.
>>>
>>> For higher-end platforms, the platform itself won't propably just
>>> "do full BGP" so Your mileage may vary wildly.
>>>
>>> Think "512MB or more" for safe sleep.
>
> Thanks guys :)  Was just pondering whether a Catalyst 4948 would be good
> enough for deployment with two partial feeds, as 76xx series is somewhat
> expensive for that particular project!
>
> Guessing the FIB on it will be the limiting factor.

Very very partial feeds.  The 4948 is limited 32,000 routes.  Even the
4900M is limited to 200,000.

http://tinyurl.com/2zd3v4

If you want to carry full tables you'd be better off looking at routers
and not switches.  I have 3800s and 2800s with full tables (even had
some 3600s).  If this is a new purchase then I'd recommend a 7200 such
as the 7201.

Justin