[c-nsp] full routing table

Alex Howells alex at bytemark.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 14:04:22 EST 2008

>> Thanks guys :)  Was just pondering whether a Catalyst 4948 would be good
>> enough for deployment with two partial feeds, as 76xx series is somewhat
>> expensive for that particular project!
>>
>> Guessing the FIB on it will be the limiting factor.
>
> Very very partial feeds.  The 4948 is limited 32,000 routes.  Even the
> 4900M is limited to 200,000.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2zd3v4
>
> If you want to carry full tables you'd be better off looking at routers
> and not switches.  I have 3800s and 2800s with full tables (even had
> some 3600s).  If this is a new purchase then I'd recommend a 7200 such
> as the 7201.

Asking purely out of 'curiosity' because a friend who works for an
up-and-coming social network aggregator is needing to expand his
network, starting to take on their own feeds, etc.

They've acquired a couple of Catalyst 4948's on the advice from a
network engineer that they'll take two full tables.

Whilst this is indeed true, they wouldn't be able to *use* the full
tables so I was just double-checking my information - thanks!

Speaking from work-perspective, we've been using Linux + Quagga up until
'07 when we acquired a 7600 series - they're bloody marvellous..
Deploying another 3 x 7600 series to completely obliterate Linux/BSD
from our core routing layer in the next 1-2 months, hopping with
excitement actually as they should arrive in 7-10 days :P

show memory statistics        [pruned a bit]
                 Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)
Processor      928148912   358931896   569217016

FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
      72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)     524288      246285         47%
     144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      262144        1738          1%

Seems that two feeds with ~240k routes and ~200k routes respectively
plus some partial/peering use about 215MB (bgp process).