[c-nsp] "Boot helper" or small IOS for Catalyst 3750

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Feb 26 11:39:03 EST 2008

Hi Justin,

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 10:10 -0600, Justin Shore wrote:
> I don't believe xmodem transfer have been necessary beginning with the
> Cat 3550s or there abouts.  The last xmodem I had to do was on a 2900XL
> but nothing more recent than that.  rommon should be able to do TFTP
> transfers beginning with the 3550s.

Strange, I don't have any TFTP-related commands when I boot into ROMMON.
I tried after a reboot with 12.2(25)SEE2 and 12.2(35)SE5, just to see if
they'd upgrade the ROMMON.

This is after a 12.2(35)SE5 install:

switch: version
C3750 Boot Loader (C3750-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(25r)SEC, RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc4)
Compiled Mon 20-Jun-05 15:03 by myl

switch: help
           ? -- Present list of available commands
        boot -- Load and boot an executable image
         cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
        copy -- Copy a file
      delete -- Delete file(s)
         dir -- List files in directories
  flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
      format -- Format a filesystem
        fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
        help -- Present list of available commands
 load_helper -- Load and initialize a helper image
      memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
       mkdir -- Create dir(s)
        more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
      rename -- Rename a file
       reset -- Reset the system
       rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
         set -- Set or display environment variables
      set_bs -- Set attributes on a boot sector filesystem
   set_param -- Set system parameters in flash
       sleep -- Pause (sleep) for a specified number of seconds
        trap -- Cause a software breakpoint to occur
        type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
       unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
     version -- Display boot loader version

switch:

I can set "IP_ADDR" and "DEFAULT_ROUTER" of course, but I need the
"tftp" command to use it, right?

I guess the 3560 has the same basic software, basically being a 3750
without stacking, so it should be the same. I haven't tried with a 3550
yet, but since it's EoS I don't think I can justify using it.

Thanks though. :-)

Regards,
Peter