[c-nsp] 100G Switch

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Feb 26 20:49:51 EST 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Ian MacKinnon wrote:

> Nexus 7000 I am sure has it on the roadmap.

My understanding is the Nexus 7010 has little control plane
support for typical Metro-E, i.e., MPLS, e.t.c.

> Otherwise I guess CRS-1...

Cisco are currently positioning the CRS-1 as a 100Gbps/slot
solution. The issue here would be (tri-speed) port density
if you want to carry trunks and customers in the same
chassis.

> and 7600/6500 would have it.

6500 and 7600 currently have 40Gbps/slot support (2x 20Gbps
channels on the SUP720/RSP720).

There are plans for additional switch fabric capacity per
slot, but not 100Gbps. Again, if you want that, Cisco
recommend migrating to the CRS-1. With any luck, there will
be a product to fill this gap in the future.

Else, you would probably need to consider other vendors.

Mark.