[c-nsp] 100G Switch

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Feb 27 14:00:21 EST 2008

At 02:46 AM 2/28/2008 +0800, Mark Tinka observed:
>On Thursday 28 February 2008, Tim Stevenson wrote:
>
> > We have (or will shortly - launched, but not shipping) -
> > the Nexus 7000 has 230G per slot capacity. The initially
> > shipping 10G card can leverage 80G of that, but the
> > initially shipping fabric will scale to support much
> > higher capacity LCs in the future, including 100G.
>
>Does this mean Cisco are positioning the Nexus 7010 (and
>other forthcoming models in the series) as a replacement of
>the 6500 for a pure Layer 2 control plane application that
>is looking beyond 40Gbps/slot and/or 80Gbps/slot, e.g.,
>high speed core Ethernet switching within a single site?

N7K is optimized for 10G today & will scale to 40/100G in future.
6500 is 1G/10G optimized today and w/80G per slot it could clearly
support 40G as well. Does a 1-port 100G module w/80G capacity make
sense? Possibly, it's TBD AFAIK.

WRT your specific application, if the shoe fits, wear it. That said,
6500 is not going anywhere any time soon, it has and will continue to
play many network roles for the forseeable future.

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Data Center BU
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759