[c-nsp] Memory requirements question

Bernd Ueberbacher noc at mynet.at
Thu Jan 3 16:35:55 EST 2008

Hi everyone!

I just have a short question about memory requirements.
I'd like to upgrade a 2610XM router which has 32 MB of flash. The IOS
image I'd like to use is about 24 MB in size. The IOS upgrade planner
says that 48 MB are required.
The image would fit into the 32 MB of course, but how much space has to
be left free so that a router has enough flash to opperates properly? Is
there any general formula (or percentage) to calculate the requirements
or how do I have to understand the flash requirements?

It also doesn't seem easy to find 48 MB flash for a 2610XM. I guess they
are either pretty rare or still very in demand and I also don't wanna
spend too much money, as this router is only in my CCNA lab.
Would the 32 MB be enough if I load the image from tftp?

Thanks,
Bernd

PS: Yes, I googled, but just found about 1.000.000.000 site where I
could buy the Cisco memory, but no answer to my question ;-)