[c-nsp] Tunnel a VLAN across the WAN?

Masood Ahmad Shah masood at nexlinx.net.pk
Thu Jan 3 13:30:46 EST 2008

Reference:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note091
86a00807213f5.shtml

The General Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnel is not supported by the Cisco
Catalyst 3750 Series Switches. Even though this feature can be configured
with CLI, the packets can be neither switched by hardware, nor by software,
which increases the CPU utilization.

Note: Only Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP) tunnel
interfaces are supported for multicast routing in the Catalyst 3750. Even
for this, packets cannot be switched with hardware. The packets routed
through this tunnel must be switched through software. The larger number of
packets forwarded through this tunnel increases CPU utilization.

Regards,
Masood Ahmad Shah