[c-nsp] Non-cisco product integration into CISCO

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Fri Jan 4 05:11:48 EST 2008

On 04/01/2008, at 9:01 PM, Dracul wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> You're correct. The other VLAN1 is used for internet
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 5:09 PM, Tom Storey <tom at snnap.net> wrote:
>
> On 04/01/2008, at 8:02 PM, Simon Lockhart wrote:
>
> > On Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 04:40:11PM +0800, Dracul wrote:
> >> interface FastEthernet0/14
> >> switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
> >> switchport trunk native vlan 100
> >> switchport mode trunk
> >> switchport nonegotiate
> >> end
> >>
> >> There are two VLANs used in the network VLAN 1 and VLAN 100. what
> >> we are
> >> looking at is the VLAN 100
> >
> > So you're trying to put the Amino STB in VLAN 100? Try this instead:
> >
> > interface FastEthernet0/14
> >  switchport mode access
> >  switchport access vlan 100
> >  spanning-tree portfast
> >
> > At the moment you've got it configured as a trunk port, with non-
> > tagged frames
> > being put in vlan 100. Whilst this shouldn't cause a problem, you
> > can simplify
> > it by configuring it as an access port instead.
> >
> > Simon
>
> I was about to ask if he could get away with running it as an access
> port, but he spcifically mentioned trunking, so I was of the
> impression that he needed both VLANs trunked to the box.
>
> Otherwise yes, if he needs it *only* in VLAN 100, setting it up as a
> trunk port will do. But my guess is theres another reason that a
> second VLAN is neccessary, e.g. Internet access which is provided via
> a seperate VLAN.

Simon seems to suggest that the units dont support dot1q. He has more
experience than me (considering Ive never heard of them until now) so
he may be able to help more.

Does the native VLAN have to be the VLAN which the STB uses for (I
presume) its video/audio streams? Or is the Internet VLAN supposed to
be the native VLAN, or do you specify explicitly which VLAN IDs are
used for what, in which case you wouldnt have a natvie VLAN as such?

Does the STB work as a router, or does it pass the Internet VLAN
through to another port on the unit where a router can be hooked up?

Are you able to provide a text copy of the configuration of the port
on the HP for comparison?