[c-nsp] [OT] Driving 1310nm optics through 1550nm circulators

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 18:04:07 EST 2008

Hi,

Apologies for the off-topic post, but I figured there'd be a few fibre
optic guru nerd types out there.

I need to connect some equipment (a router to a switch) via a dark
fibre service. At each end, the service is presented as TX and RX on
an optical circulator -- the fibre run itself is a single strand.

My media converters are 100BASE-TX to 100BASE-FX, single-mode, 1310nm
models, but the circulators are 1550nm models. I have been advised
that my 1310nm optics should operate correctly, end-to-end, through
the 1550nm circulators (albeit with 2-3dB extra loss -- still within
our tolerances).

Without knowing the underlying theory, or having the time to learn it,
it's hard to approach the install with much confidence.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone provide a concise explanation as to
why it will or will not work?

cheers,
Dale
PS: yes, there are other options, such as getting 1550nm media
converters, or doing away with the circulators and getting
single-strand media converters, or having the dark fibre provider swap
in 1310nm circulators.