[c-nsp] [OT] Driving 1310nm optics through 1550nm circulators

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jan 9 03:19:39 EST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 10:04:07AM +1100, Dale Shaw wrote:
> I need to connect some equipment (a router to a switch) via a dark
> fibre service. At each end, the service is presented as TX and RX on
> an optical circulator -- the fibre run itself is a single strand.

What are "optical circulators"?

(I'm honestly curious - as all long-distance fibre services we use are
either presented as "plain dark fibre, nothing on the path" or terminated
with GigE switches from the service provider, thus providing standard
1000Base<whatever> interfaces)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de