[c-nsp] BFD for static routes

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jan 10 02:21:52 EST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:14:06PM +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> I'm a little puzzled here. BFD needs two BFD-speaking routers, right?
> It's not enough that one of them can speak BFD, is it? And if a router
> speaks BFD it probably also speaks some kind of routing protocol
> semi-fluently. Why not use that option instead?

Because you don't want to speak any routing protocol to customers.

Consider things like customers being connected to your routers by a
"LAN bridge" from some city carrier.  Ethernet on both ends, $funny things
in the middle of it.  Depending on the way these boxes work, both sides
might have a link at all times, no matter whether the link actually works
or not.

Given that it's a customer connection, you do not want to do IGP routing
that way, and if it's a low-budget customer, you certainly do not want to
setup BGP routing.  So you need some other way to detect "line is down,
move to backup link".

BFD-with-statics would very nicely fill that niche.

(And yes - we used have a lot of those links...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de