[c-nsp] BFD for static routes

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 10:40:53 EST 2008

That's really the "killer app" for this so to speak, is in a L2 metro
scenario where you can't propagate the customer link-state back to the
terminating L3 router.   Even the lowest end Cisco router runs BGP
these days, so I've used that in the past with private ASs for
customers dual-homed, but that requires more configuration and
monitoring, etc.  The other option is GRE tunnels but that isn't a
very good solution imho.  BFD seems like a better option to me.  It's
supported by Juniper, but Cisco seems to only have support in IOS XR.

I guess a question to pose to Cisco is what takes more CPU, BFD or IP
SLA?  If they are the same, IP SLA (reliable static routes) is
certainly an option.

Phil