[c-nsp] BFD for static routes

Aamer Akhter (aakhter) aakhter at cisco.com
Thu Jan 10 14:08:46 EST 2008

Hi guys,

Couple of points:

* certainly IPSLA can be used. However the following needs to weighed:
 - IPSLA follows the routing table, so if the destination becomes reachable via another path, ISPSLA (outbound) will use that path. Inbound you have some control over by selecting the src-ip.
 - BFD is really better at doing the lower timer values than IPSLA. Depending on platform this is done in a number of ways.
 - with BFD, currently the remote peer needs to support BFD as well. That said, with IPSLA the remote peer has to be not filtering ICMP etc
 - with BFD, multi-hop (unlike IPSLA) is currently not available

Wrt static route BFD support in IOS: it is coming. Talk to your sales guys (or send me a unicast) to make sure they properly represent this interest and usecase.

Regards,

Aamer Akhter / aa at cisco.com
Ent & Commercial Systems, cisco Systems