[c-nsp] NBAR on 2800

Mark Pace Balzan mpb at melitacable.com
Thu Jan 10 09:46:21 EST 2008

> Another thing.  How good is NBAR these days?  I have zero experience
with
> it.  Can it effectively block P2P?  Can we mark and even prioritize
VoIP?
> In short: does it work?

Yes it works, when I worked with it last, which is a year or so at
least.

But when I did it worked fine and did the job, and I would guess its got
better, not worse !
If you give up some more resources you can also do nbar protocol
discovery on an interface to see the traffic breakdown.
I believe there is a MIB for it too.

You can either use NBAR to mark your packets for differential treatment
further up/down the line, or include the match protocol commands
direcetly into your qos policy on your router. However to do all this
you are most likely pushing your 2800 abit more than I'd be comfortable
with.

But yes it will recognise p2p, voip etc... and mark, shape or drop, or
just let it go by undisturbed

Hope this helps

Mark